"Own only what you can carry with you:
know languages, know countries, know people.
Let your memory be your travel bag"
Did you know...
- ... that there are more learners of English in China than there are native speakers of English in Britain and the United States taken together? This in itself is a powerful indication of the importance of English as a world language.
- ... that in the Scottish translation of the New Testament only the devil speaks Standard English?
- ... the town in Northern Ireland which is called Derry by Roman Catholics is called Londonderry by Protestants?
- ... that in everyday conversation, people on average speak about five or six syllables a second, around 300 a minute?
- ... why the Lower House of the British Parliament is called House of Commons? Contrary to popular belief, it does not mean that it is to represent the commoners, the common people, the people without title or rank. It means that it is to represent the communes, the regional communities, i.e. counties and boroughs.
- ... that Scotland was originally inhabited, not by the Scots, but by the Picts, and that the Scots were originally the inhabitants, not of Scotland, but of Ireland?
- British - North American Vocabulary
PRESENT PERFECT VS PAST SIMPLE